June 26, 2012
- Rinse massor dal thoroughly, until water is clear. In pot bring 1 quart water to boil. Add massor dal.
- Cook half way, about 10 to 15 minutes, add 1/2 teaspoon hot spices, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and salt. As massor dal cooks, uncovered, water will evaporate and mixture will thicken.
- Add more water to keep dal loose, like texture of thick cream. When dal is soft, turn off heat. Heat oil in wok. When oil is very hot, add onions and cook until tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic, ginger and chili. Continue to fry until onions are deep-yellow. Add remaining 1 teaspoon each hot spices and turmeric.
- Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick. Add tomatoes and cilantro. Cook until tomato softens.
- Pour in pot of masoor dal and simmer to blend flavors. Taste and add more salt if needed.