The creamy dhansak is a Parsi cuisine and traditionally prepared with rich aromatic spices
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 01h 30min
- Yield : 4
- Duck, boneless - 1 kg in 1 inch cubes
- Oil - as required
- Onions - 1/2 kg, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 500 gms, finely chopped
- Red lentils - 100 gms, washed and soaked in prior
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Salt - to season
- Coriander to garnish
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Toss in the duck and fry until brown. Drain onto kitchen towel and set aside.
- In the same pan heat more oil and toss in the onions. Fry them for 4 mins or so until soft and translucent.
- Once the onions are done add in the ginger garlic paste and fry well for about 3 mins until cooked.
- Reduce flame and add the dry spice powders and fry further for 2 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and fry well until soft and well mashed. This should take about 10 mins.
- Once the tomatoes are done add the presoaked red lentils and bring it to the boil.
- Toss in the duck that was set aside and mix well to coat evenly. Add sufficient stock or water to cover the duck, season, cover and simmer for 45 mins to an hour or until the duck is tender. Check and stir the curry regularly so as to avoid burning the bottom of the pan.
- Once the duck is done add the yogurt a spoon at a time and blend well in the curry. Continue until all the yogurt is mixed well and gives the curry a creamy texture.
- The curry is ready to serve with flavored or butter rice or any Indian bread of choice.