A very popular curry dish in India and central Asia the Korma or Kurma is prepared with coconut milk or paste, yogurt, cream or nuts seeds paste to give it the creamy texture.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 4
- Chicken - 1 kg, cut in medium pieces
- Ginger & Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to season
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Onions - 3, grated
- Poppy seeds (khuskhus) - 2 tbsp, soaked and ground to a paste
- Cashewnuts - 10, soaked and ground to a paste
- Coconut - 2 tbsp, Grated
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Green chillies - 3, slit
- Thick cream - ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup, finely chopped
Method of Preparation:
- In a deep dish marinate the chicken in ginger paste, garlic paste and season with salt. Set it aside for ½ an hour to an hour.
- In a large skillet heat the ghee on medium high. When hot toss in the cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Once the cumin seeds start to crackle add in the onions and sauté for about 10 mins or till light brown.
- Add the cashewnut paste, poppy seeds paste and the grated coconut, sauté until the ghee separates and the paste leaves the sides of the pan. This would take about 6 mins.
- Add the chicken and mix well to coat.
- Turn the heat to a low and add in the green chillies and the dry masala powders and fry well.
- Add 2 cups of water, check seasoning and bring to the boil.
- Cover and cook for about 20 min or until the chicken is done.
- Once the chicken is tender add in the cream a spoon at a time and stir well to mix.
- Turn off heat, garnish with the coriander and serve hot with steamed rice or chapattis. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining cream and chopped coriander leaves.