A perfect curry to sunny luncheon this traditional Indian dish is perfect when served with rice or any Indian bread of choice.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Yield : 4
- Oil - as required
- Onions - 2, finely chopped
- Chicken thighs - 6-8, halved
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Ginger - 1 tsp, finely grated
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 1 1/2 cups, chopped
- Chicken stock - 2 cups
- Red lentils - ½ cup, rinsed and drained
- Bay leaves - 2
- Salt - to season
- Yoghurt - 1 cup
- Fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Method of Preparation:
- In a deep skillet heat oil on medium high.
- Toss in the onions and fry for five mins until light brown and soft.
- Reduce the flame to a low and add the chicken and cook for two mins turning to fry all sides well.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry for a further 2 mins until cooked well and the aroma denotes the paste is cooked well.
- Once done add the dry spice powders and fry for a further min or until well fried.
- Drop in the tomatoes and cook until soft and well mashed, this would take about 7 mins or more.
- Add the stock, the lentils and drop in the bay leaves and simmer covered for 40 mins or until the chicken is soft and the lentils are cooked and mashed well.
- Add the yogurt a spoon at a time and blend into the curry well. Sprinkle with coriander and serve hot with rice or roti.